Friday 16 November 2012

A mini picture tutorial on DIY chipboard alphas.....

This is a first for me, but I've really gotten into alphas recently and they can be very pricey - so making my own has been a real cost cutter - and very enjoyable to.
firstly cut your chipboard letters, I've used a cuttlebug alpha and just some card from the back of an A4 notepad - then cut the same again in your choice of patterned paper.
then stick the patterned letters onto the chipboard letters making sure you go right up into the corners and edges.
like this.
turn the letters over when dry and stick just one small foam sticky tab to each letter, this is to help keep the letters in place when you are varnishing them and they scratch off easily enough when you have finished making them.
And stick the letters into an old pizza box, you are now going to spray the letters with a varnish or you can paint the letters with varnish (I've used spray & shine), I must admit that I find you have to spray and let them dry, at least 5 times to get a good result (with this product anyway).
You can speed up the drying process by using a hairdryer (I didn't use my heat tool as I find it rather harsh and may have the opposite effect on the varnish). Always remember when using varnish to do so in a well ventilated area too.
my camera skills haven't picked up how lovely and shiney these letters are
I don't know if this DIY process is much cheaper but it's good fun to do. Hope you enjoy my little tutorial.......have a great crafting day.

1 comment:

  1. They look even better than those expensive ones..so easy to make too . thanks :)

    ReplyDelete